Saturday, April 17, 2010

Kick-Ass is Bad. Ass.

SONG OF THE DAY: Lose It by Eminem (yeah... I'm kind of surprised at myself... it's just stuck in my head)
CURRENT MOOD: w00t, yes that is a m00d

Here we shall have my review for Kick-Ass.

ES and I went and saw it today. We were both optimistic; I was more-so than he was, but still hopeful. Not only did the movie not disappoint; it was really fantastic.

SPOILERS AHEAD. I would hate to ruin your day.

Let me begin by saying that Chloe Moretz may be one of my new favorite people and stars as Mindy McCready/Hit Girl. For those who don't know (and I didn't until ES said it), she was the snarky little sister in (500) Days of Summer. Miss Moretz is the Queen of Sass. I love it. Hit Girl is far more kick ass than Kick Ass, but we probably already knew that from the previews. She swears like... I don't know. Can't even say. And that's hilarious even in itself.

What I loved about the movie was that it was so randomly and unexpectedly funny but then became randomly and unexpectedly HEAVY. It became actually pretty deep for a movie that's got McLovin and a jet pack in it. What was even more amazing about it was that when it GOT heavy, you were still laughing. And it wasn't always stuff you SHOULD be laughing at. For goodness sake, we're essentially watching a character get burned alive. There's extreme violence. There's blood! And it's hysterical.

On that note, those that aren't fans of violence should stay away. Also, if you're squeamish about violence involving children, stay FAR away. If you don't believe me, know this: if you don't want you or your kids seeing Nick Cage shoot the girl playing his daughter from roughly 10 feet away and doing it like a game, do not go. You will see a pre-teen being nearly killed by grown men on more than one occasion, and you will see said pre-teen doing things that we know she can't/shouldn't do. Impressionable youngsters? Send them to How To Train Your Dragon. Side note: haven't seen it, but I've heard great things.

But if you can handle that, go. You will have one kick-ass time.

Another side note: awesome music. I hope there's a soundtrack.

TIP/ORDER/ADVICE of the DAY: Go see Kick-Ass. Do it. Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment